Hymenoplasty is a surgical procedure performed with the objective of reconstructing the skin membrane, hymen, which is located in the lower half of the vagina. This fibrous and elastic tissue usually ruptures during the first sexual penetration of women, indicating the woman has lost her virginity. Apart from penetration, the hymen can also break due to other reasons such as accidents, horseback riding, gymnastics, sudden movements, or even by using tampons.
Also referred to as hymen restoration surgery, hymenoplasty is a simple procedure that helps stitch the torn edges of the tissue together with dissolvable stitches. The time for this procedure and recovery is short, and there are no signs of surgical intervention as the incisions are made inside the vagina. However, a woman is advised to get online doctor consultation in Delhi before getting the surgery done.
Why is Hymenoplasty Done?
Cultural reasons: Several cultures in India believe that an intact hymen mark is a sign of purity for women before marriage. Therefore, to reclaim this sign of purity, many women choose to undergo the surgery.
Accidental rupture of the hymen: Situations where the hymen gets torn because of insertion of tampon, strenuous activities, or excessive stretching, Hymenoplasty works as a solution for reconstructing the same.
Enhanced sexual pleasure: Restoration of hymen enables women to feel more fullness in sexual intercourse and retain a higher possibility of orgasm during sex.
Before the surgery is performed, the doctor physically examines the patient’s vaginal area. This examination helps the gynaecologist determine if the remnants of the hymenal tissue to be tied are sufficient for constructing a fake hymen. Below listed steps entail the hymenoplasty procedure, which is completed under 30 minutes-
- The patient is made to lie in a lithotomy position.
- The torn remnants of the hymen are first united by performing hymenoplasty.
- The gynaecologist creates a transverse incision in the vestibular mucosa posterior to the wall of the vagina.
- The posterior vaginal wall is raised as a flap, and rugae are created by tightening the mucosa.
- Reefing is performed, and rugs are then created on the vaginal mucosa.
- The torn parts of the tissue are held together, and stitching is done from superior to inferior end. The surgeon creates various vertical and crosswise rugae until the vagina is tight. The procedure only requires an application of an ointment, and no dressing is given.
- After the operation, doctors prescribe certain painkillers to provide relief from the pain. Apart from this, some antibiotics are also given to minimise the risk of infections in the vagina.
Recovery after the surgery
As hymenoplasty is performed on an outpatient basis, the patient is kept in observation for a few hours and then discharged on the same day. The patient may feel pain and slight blood discharge occasionally in the initial days of recovery. However, this is a common thing and should not be worried about. Generally, a patient starts feeling comfortable in a week. And, full recovery after the surgery takes almost three weeks. But, this recovery period may vary depending on the patient’s physique. During this period of healing, the patients are advised to completely avoid sexual intercourse.
Therefore if you are looking to consult or get hymenoplasty done, you may connect with Uphealth. We offer patient-centric, cost-effective Medicare and services through leading and experienced specialists. Connect with us to get an unparalleled service for hymenoplasty surgery in Delhi.